Thursday, April 14, 2011

Book Review.... Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

What do I love about Jane Eyre?  

I love the way she battles through Lowood with such strong opinions, so friendless and yet an overcomer.  She finds work at Thornfield Hall, but she’s restless and bored, it’s too easy.  She needs someone to communicate with, someone, almost, to argue with.  When Mr. Rochester arrives, he’s a larger-than-life character right from his spill off his horse.  Jane declares him almost ugly, but she forgets as she falls in love. 

The way the two fall in love is absolutely amazing.  There are three conversations detailed out.  The dialogue alone expresses how quickly and completely they are attracted to each other.  When an incident occurs after they’ve known each other only eight weeks, they add a secret to their private treasure.  Even the secret is perfect because it is Mr. Rochester who plays games of who knows what and is buried by his own game when his love’s character cannot concede.

I cried.  I cried when Rochester worked Jane into a frenzy so she would declare her love of him both to him and to herself.  He worked her heart just as she worked his, they were so equal.  And she was so passionate, she who spoke so rarely and loved so quietly and held herself so strictly.  When she confronted Rochester regarding his bride-to-be and how she could not be near him when he was with another and how she would die without him… I cried.

“’I tell you I must go!’ I retorted, roused to something like passion. ‘Do you think I can stay to become nothing to you? Do you think I am an automaton? – a machine without feelings? And can bear to have my morsel of break snatched from my lips, and my drop of living water dashed from my cup? Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless?  You think wrong! – I have as much soul as you – and full as much heart!  And if God had gifted me with some beauty, and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you.  I am not talking to you now throught the medium of custom, conventionalities, or even a mortal flesh – it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed throught the grave, and we tood at God’s feel, equal – as we are!’”

*sob*

Tears dripping from my eyes, I looked up to see four kids sneaking to the kitchen for a snack, caught in the act!  They froze mid-step gazing startled at Mom wiping away tears.  I couldn't help but laugh as I shooed 'em all back to bed.  They were only looking for where I was, since I was taking so long to tuck 'em in!