Musing Mondays is hosted by Should Be Reading - join the discussion with a comment on MizB's post - and mine!! :-) I'll comment (and follow) right back!!
What devices --if any-- do you read books on?Do you find it enjoyable, or still somewhat bothersome? Or: If you only read the print books, why haven't you chosen to read on any devices?
I love the smell of books.
And they don't smell the same when they're digital.
Reasons WHY I love my e-reader:
1. I can carry lots of books with me everywhere I go.
2. I can set one book aside and browse another without carrying a bag of books.
3. I can instantly download the next book in the series, seamlessly enjoying entire exciting series!!
4. I get NetGalley books in an easy-to-read format!!! Which makes them easier to read!!!
Reasons WHY I prefer books:
1. They smell so great!! Antique, just-published, well-worn, paperback, hard back - they all smell so great!!
2. I'm visual and I like knowing where I'm at in a story, how far I've gone and how much I've got left.
3. Also, because I'm visual, I can find favorite passages faster. Often I don't realize a scene is pivotal until later and it's hard to find in the digital versions.
4. The Bindings look so picturesque lined up on my shelf! (Assuming I can find them space.)
Ah.... space. I don't pretend to be an avid reader... I am one. I don't pretend to hog books, I most definitely do.
I have over six bookshelves jam-packed with books... and the space between the books and the shelves are stacked with books... and my "desk" is piled with books... and nearly every corner of my house has a stack of someone's books as I try to keep track of my hording as it applies to each one in our family and their preferences. (Books and nerf darts.)
I have managed this obsession like any good reader who is in denial, stuffing a shelf in the pantry, another over the stove, 2-3 in each of the kids' spaces, etc, etc. But at some point, the excess spills over.
I know I'm not the only one... I've seen some of those pictures of TBR piles!!!
So... if I don't buy a new house and move (which sounds terrifying, really - how many boxes of books would I have to admit to owning?!) I need to be selective in my accumulating. I need to think about passing some books on to make room for the ones I can't let go of. *gulp*
OR... I need to embrace the digital world and accumulate to my heart's content!!!
Frankly, this option is looking better and better.
1. My husband checked out e-readers last Christmas and got me my Nook Color. He thinks I'm crazy for reading as much as I do, but he is really Cool, Man in more ways than I am going to share (or you want to hear!!) When I pick up my Nook, I think of him. I like that a lot.
2. I update my background scene and regularly organize my books. Which is cute. And fun.
3. I read with my brain turned on (as I urge the kids) and mark passages I think I'll want to return to, just in case.
4. I purchased a cover that I like a lot. It feels good in my hands.
(It's tough, but) I've been practicing and more than a few times, I've forgotten what format I'm reading in. I may be a (rather) old dog, but I can adjust to get more what I want.... BOOKS!!!!