Thursday, February 2, 2012

Phew!! It's FRIDAY!!!

This FRIDAY is totally awesome.  I am hosting a veeeeery interesting author interview, which is really cool. I have missed joining in on the Hoppin' and Meetin' other great book blogs as much as I'd like to, so I'm getting PREPARED to have fun. I'm going visiting!!!!  :-D


Parajunkee & Alison Can Read are sooooo nice to host this fun get-together. You can join the linky at either of their sites and go visiting, too!!

I have lots of ways you can follow me... down on the left sidebar all spread out like I haven't found a cool button string, yet. (Huh.)  I watch 'em all and follow back... including Facebook Hoppers and Twitter Hoppers.  I make it a goal to follow more people than follow me. (It's nearly a full-time occupation - not "job" my honey says I can't call it a "job" when I'm having this much fun.)

Every week two new bloggers are Featured - they get my FOLLOW first!!

Progress & Procrastination   AND    Om-nom Books

Now for the AWESOME QUESTION:


Q: Define what characteristics your favorite books share. Do they all have a kickass heroine or is the hot love interest the Alpha Male?



Ah.... Great Question!!!

All my favorite books do have something in common, although it's a little hard to describe. I like INTELLIGENCE - in the lead character, sure, but more in the way the author put the book together. Like... when there's layers of meaning and I'm not sure I get everything the author meant? (Valente) Love it. Or humor tucked into serious drama like Midnight in Austenland... or well-researched subjects like The Rebel Wife... intricate fantasy set-ups like The Name of the Wind... character development like The Girl of Fire and Thorns... incredible readability with a hopping-interesting story like Cinder... Love it Love it - Love it!!!

I have all kinds of preferences for characters in a book, but I can get along with all different types if the writing's good... and I'll drop a book pretty quick if the writing is... uh, not so good. What about you?!


THANK YOU for visiting! See you again soon!!!!

22 comments:

  1. Definitely! A little humor or sarcasm in a book that's serious makes you want to keep reading without feeling like you have a ton of depressing pressure on your mind while reading!!

    - Shanise @ Camisado Mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by - happy to return the visit (and the follow).

    Couldn't agree more with "intricate fantasy set-ups like The Name of the Wind." I live for intricate, imaginative worlds that are so well developed, you forget they're not real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh... you like The Name of the Wind?! How exciting!!!!

      Delete
  3. Oh yeah, intelligence is a total win. Really smart books are total <3.
    Old follower, thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answer to an interesting question! Intelligence is such a positive, I totally agree! I'm going to have to check out some of those books that you mentioned, they sound smart! I love a little humour in my books too. :)

    Here's my FF post!

    Stephanie @ SOOTP

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must love symbolism or am I totally off the mark? I love some symbolism, but I'm usually the type of person who just wants to be told what you mean. I guess I'm a lazy reader, lol.

    Thanks for stopping by and following me via bloglovin. I had never even heard of it before. I'm following you via RSS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I thought about Intelligent characters a lot lately! There is almost no author who creates unintelligent characters (on purpose). Maybe uneducated, but that is it. I think it's nice, but it sometimes backfires.. Take Sookie Stackhouse, who's supposed to be intelligent but not educated.. Imo she's tstl. The worst thing, though, is an unintelligent book. Absolutely agree!

    Happy Friday!

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea... you're probably right. I probably think of pro-active as intelligent. I'm an action sort of person, maybe, a pay-attention, mean-something appreciator.

      Whatever-it-is, I like it in all flavors.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for your comment and for following my blog! I'm following yours now, too :).

    You asked about my mission trip. I've been back since October. I made a video that offers a glimpse into my experiences. Here's the link: http://mylifewithamission.blogspot.com/2011/11/logos-hope-slideshow.html

    Thanks for your interest!
    ~Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great answer! Good writing is a must, but beyond that, I need a good and interest story with relatable characters.

    Thanks for stopping by my FF.

    My FF

    Ning @ Reading by Kindle Fire

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree with you on how authors put together books. I love the small details that you don't even think about until after you realize they are actually important and make rereading the book that much more fun. Or the layering of the story as in detailed plots or deep characters with intermingling story-lines and back-stories. I love those! It makes the entire book so much better because I can lose myself in the story or believe the characters are real. Very solid points. Oh, and I'm following the blog :)

    Danielle @ Novelly Antithetical

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha I get it. The intelligence factor. Some clever little twist, or an amazing plot make a world of difference. But I think that only works if the characters are great too, so for me it's more about the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Old follower returning the visit! I like your 'intelligence' answer. I've got to have smart main characters, but I also love that sense you mention of knowing that the author is doing something smart with the story itself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome post and great answer :)

    Happy reading and thanks for stopping by and following..I am following you back!!

    p.s..love the blog layout! It's gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi!!!! I'm a new follower!!! I can't wait to continue to follow your blog!!! :)

    I completely agree; intelligence is an important element in the books I read! :)

    http://jbkantt.blogspot.com/2012/02/follow-me-friday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi;)

    We're Twitter friends and Gr friends but I had no idea I was not following you..:( So now I'm a new email subscriber to your blog!;)

    Thanks for stopping by my FF...I'm familiar with the books you've listed above as having your favorite characters however, I have yet to read them...I do love YA but maybe the reason you didn't recognize those characters was because they were adult UF series maybe??? Well if you have yet to hear about Cat and Bones from The Night Huntress series I recommend that to ALL romance lovers!;) You should definitely pick up the first book!;)

    Have a great weekend!;) and Keep in touch!;) You and I both share some favorite series!;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love intelligent characters. Great answer!


    Thanks for stopping by, following you back. =)


    Megan @ Between the Lines

    ReplyDelete
  16. Intelligent characters are a must, I will DNF a book if the main character is stupid. Thanks for stopping by on the hop!
    Jennifer @ The Bawdy Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the follow. Following back! Intelligence is a definite plus in books.

    ~Nikki (Imaginative Adventure)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello! I am a new follower!! Found you via the blog hop! Can't wait to read your posts!

    Claire
    http://clairelouisereads.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

This is an award-free, tag-free zone. Thank you for understanding!!!!

Sweet! Thanks for commenting - I love it!!

Please excuse the word verification. I'm not interested in comment advertising!! Lol.