Thursday, July 19, 2012

ReReading Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers


Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)Grave Mercy
by Robin LaFevers


Grave Mercy 2nd time ‘round

(See my first review HERE.)

The following contains some spoilers!!

I haven’t reread a book since I started blogging in November. ‘Til now.  There is something so delicious about a book that has so much depth in the way it is delivered that is holds more wonder than simply “what happens next”. There is no surprise the second time ‘round. I know who the traitor is, who the deceived are, who the poisoned are. I remember, like a shadow, my first reading how I panicked on this page or cried on this one. The second time through, I don’t panic, I don’t cry. I dance a bazillion mini-jigs over the writing.

Do you do this? Collapse in awe over a well-dropped hint? Reread a phrase just to to shake your head and chuckle over how well it’s written? When I reread a book, I am stopping to smell the roses every sentence along the way. The first time through, I had to sprint to the end, caught up in the story. The wonderful wording flew by me… noticed, but hurried onward. The second time through I revel in each delicious line.  It’s like rolling in autumn leaves. I gloried in their green splendor before, but now they are multicolored, if crisp, and hold a different sort of beauty.

Anticipation is heightened, too. I haven’t read Grave Mercy so many times that I remember everything coming, but that shadow of what I felt the first time is layered with a glow of what I know is coming and the Anticipation is keen.

One of the biggest themes in this story is Ismae’s relationship with her Father, Mortain. The first time through I was hesitant and nervous to my core about this. Her relationship toward her father-figure and God is so big and I was terrified of some twisted betrayal. I was ready for Ismae to find loss, heartache, pain… I mean, this is the direction the whole political scene points towards as straight as her arrow! So the depth of mercy and peace in the midst of destruction was almost enough to bring me to sobs the first time round. As a second read, I clung to that final trust right from the beginning and every scene shifted ever so slightly so that I loved Ismae and Duval even more.

My first reading was an e-copy from NetGalley. My second reading was an ARC from a book-loving friend. (THANK YOU, VALERIA!!!!!) Having easy access to that map at the beginning helped the political world clear up for me – or maybe it’s easier to sort out the second time through. Or both. Honestly, this is a book I knew I wanted in my library – my favorite, so far, of 2012. My joy at rereading Grave Mercy is bumping it up to my rare 5.5 rating. 

That was absolutely EXHILERATING and I LOVE reading!!!


Have you reread a book this year?  Do you ever?

16 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it the second time around. I haven't read any books twice since blogging but maybe I'll start next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging reveals so many good reads. It's hard to "waste" time on a re-read, but that was refreshing!!

      Delete
  2. I reread frequently. Of course, that habit has slowed down since I started blogging.

    I loved Grave Mercy so much that I went out straight away and bought myself a copy after I read a library copy. I can't wait to reread it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a good book; thanks for sharing :) I just found your blog and will definitely be following it from now on! I recently added some summer reading lists to my new blog if you want to take a look: http://heartisinthewriteplace.blogspot.com/
    thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very fun!! Thx for the visit & the link!! I'm a new follower to you back!

      I love Shakespeare... especially The Taming of the Shrew. ENJOY your class!!!

      Delete
  4. I have this on my wishlist already, but the fact that it's good enough for you to read TWICE makes me all the more excited to check it out. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Thx. I wasn't sure if I should write a second "review", You know? But it felt good. Writing reviews is fun however we do 'em. :-)

      Delete
  5. I rarely reread anything but classics and my childhood favorites (I am a kid who refuses to grow up). But after reading Ernest Cline's Ready Player One, I just know I have to reread it soon...

    Lilian @ A Novel Toybox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. You're in good company. I've never grown up, either. Hilarious

      Delete
  6. Wow, this book sounds really good if it's worthy of a reread! This book is just sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read... but the thickness of it is so intimidating! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way!!

      Well... the thickness surprised me, too. Just read one page and see what you think!! :-D

      Delete
  7. Oh, http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m78ftzqPtl1rt4r3t.png Jajaja, you're welcome!!! Now, as I was saying, I want the next book to have more blood, what do you think?

    & yeah, I re-read. I've re-read one of my favorites (City of the Beasts) at LEAST 7 times (as a min.). But lately, I invest all the time I have for reading in new books *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jajajaja That pic is hilarious. Seriously, THANK YOU!! :-D

      Delete
  8. Okay...I officially have to find a way to cram a reread of this book in. I love being able to go back through a book once I know how it ends and find all the hints of foreshadowing that let me know its coming. Back to the TBR pile with Grave Mercy! :]

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has been my favorite read this year also. I loved Grave Mercy and have been recommending it to everybody I know. I have too many books to read to do a complete reread but I know I have picked up Grave Mercy and reread the last four or five chapters several times.

    ReplyDelete

This is an award-free, tag-free zone. Thank you for understanding!!!!

Sweet! Thanks for commenting - I love it!!

Please excuse the word verification. I'm not interested in comment advertising!! Lol.