Saturday, October 6, 2012

Bloggiversary - Burgundy-Burgandy

Hey... so TODAY is one year bloggin'!

Wow!

I'm so seriously not even started with celebrating. I think I'll put of the party 'til I gather all my supplies and throw a whoppin' one. You can't rush this sort of thing... and I'll be runnin' around watching sports all day again today, being the awesome Mom I attempt to be with abandoned enthusiasm. So... the Partay will have to wait for me to gather my wits, etc.

I will share Why Burgandy?

I mean, who aspires to be a writer and yet spells their name wrong? ME!!

My uncooperativeness has roots in Linguistics. I have opinions about different sounds and different languages and the English I speak in the Northwest is pathetically lazy. Please pause and notice how many words contain "uh". Phonetically, we write the sound with an upside down "e" - and when you write phonetically... you see this dumb upside down "e" all over the place.

I don't like this "e".

It threatens to take over all the other beautiful sounds and mush 'em into one, lazy, ugly... "DUH!"

This must be stopped!!  Sounds must be preserved!!!

Follow my logic, now...

Which letter most often represents this "uh" in our language?  Mhm... "u".

"U" is not innocent.  It has a beautiful enough ring to it, but it's lazier than any other letter and sluffs off to an "uh" more often than any other letter (although no vowel is completely above reproach.)

Whenever a "u" is pronounced "uh" I rebel.

Take the name of my town, for example.

When I first moved to Damascus... I spelled it Damascas... because... "-cus"?  Paleeeeeeze!!!!!!!  It's like claiming that "uh" sound purposefully!!  Seriously... who would do that?!  It makes you want to clear your throat and spit.

So, I ask you... what was I going to do with my name?  I love "Burgundy Ice" but it has... TWO U'S!!!!  Two. Not one... TWO.  The first "u" gets lost in the "r", but that second "u" is AAAAALLLLL "uh". *spits*

The only answer to such atrocities is to change the spelling of the word.

OBVIOUSLY!!

I'm not the only one who decided this. The other Stand-Out World-Changer is a rapper in LA, which is good company as far as I'm concerned. (I'm not sure he feels the same way. I have never asked.)

So, now you know.  Every time you Google the correct spelling of my name, you are making a stand against the upside down "e" taking over the English language.


There is a small chance that most of this was subconscious. *ahem* Possibly by the time I started blogging, I'd already been spelling my name correctly (to the astonishment of good spellers everywhere) for years, so I didn't even consider spellchecking it. Maybe. *cough*spit*smile*

Alyce @ At Home with Books hosts Saturday Snapshot. Most of these pix are from my Burgundy Ice rose that my honey gave me for Valentines - that is surviving despite me. :-)

32 comments:

  1. Huh. I have to admit, I didn't think about the spelling. Guess I just took it as I found it!

    LOVELY rose pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy blogoversary; your blog is one day younger than mine i would never have guessed ^^;;

    on a side note: i did sent you an email sometimes ago about a small gift but you haven't answered me so mail lost or not interested?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm... I don't remember the email & I usually remember gifts!! I've been very scatterbrained lately, however. Do let's email about that again, shall we?

      Delete
    2. ^^ lets say it's because it's your blogoversary then. i just sent you a new email^^

      Delete
    3. Ah... miki,

      My hotmail is pickin' on you!! Your emails don't arrive!

      It happens on occasion.

      I hate to beg... but can you email me again? Try my secret other email: lauralootru(at)gmail(dot)com

      Delete
  3. That is too funny! You definitely have a strong opinion about it. :) Happy blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have gotten dramatic. *cough* It does happen on occasion.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I did enjoy reading your blog! And the pictures were lovely.My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/ksE6O

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATS on your bloggiversary. You must be doing something right since you have almost 2000 followers!!!!
    I've been blogging for about a year too and I have maybe 30. Woe is me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um... I may have hosted a few giveaways and required follows as entries. Maybe.

      Delete
  6. Happy bloggiversary! And what beautiful flower pictures!

    Here's my Snapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Bloggiversary! Love the flower picy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Bloggiversary! You just reminded me of the How I Met Your Mother episode where Ted corrected people on how to pronounce Gauntlet. Which in turn makes me think of how some people pronounce Aunt differently. Some of my nephews say "Anty" and others say "Awnty".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for the milestone! Congratulations! :D Can't wait to see what you'll be doing in honor of it.

    I like respelling words, and making up new ones. Sometimes I've spelled out a word that I though existed, then the stupid red squiggle comes up underneath... but I leave it anyway because I like to throw people off. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. It's amazing how you can train yer brain to ignore squiggles, too, isn't it? Making up new words is the awesomest!

      Delete
  10. Happy bloggy birthday! And you spell it however you want. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just about to send you a mail where I mention how crazy I am about my potential OCD & how somethong things HAVE TO be like I want them but, er, I may not after all.

    The thing is, I already KNEW this story & it STILL makes me laugh!!

    Felicidades Laura!!!! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  12. *Happy Blogoversary* & Oodles of Hugs!!

    And, as disconcerting as this may seem, I agree with you! lol

    However, being from the south - everything was/is y'all.
    Which is some dull, albeit freakish bastardization (can I say that on here?) of *uh* and *awl*. I dunno, it's just weird, and I spoke like that for the first 32 years after I moved to the midwest.

    Yes, I'm a slow learner. *SURPRISE* ;p

    Ps - I love your beautiful blog, AND your pronunciation/spelling <333



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilarious. I haven't heard enough "awl" to file it in the same disgusting drawer as "uh". Plus, once you move like that, you have a "cool" accent. Might as well keep it 32+ years!!

      Delete
  13. Congratulations on your one-year bloggiversary. I can see you have a lot of passion about language, so that can't be all bad, right? New follower. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx for following!! Can I give you a bad time since I already follow your blog?

      Yes, um, "passion" is a very nice way to put it. Thx!

      Delete
  14. Happy bloggoversary! What a funny explanation, but it makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  15. HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY, LAURA! May there be many, many more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy blogiversry Laura! :) Conrgrats on your 1st year! I wish you many many more blogging years.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thx "y'all"!! *sniff* You make me want to announce my bloggiversary EVERY day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Blogiversarry! Such gorgeous roses.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love a good soapbox rant and what better time than on your blogoversary!
    My rant is also about the 'u', but how Americans take it out of words like flavour, colour, favourite etc! In Australia we pronounce flavour, colour etc with a "lerr" sound at the end not an "uh" or "or" sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. That's totally AWESOME!! The "u" is useful and it goes missing!!

      Well... that proves it, I think - the "u" is lazy!

      Thank you for pointing this out. I had forgotten

      Delete
    2. So... I should spell my blog Colourimetry, hey? What a mess.

      Delete

This is an award-free, tag-free zone. Thank you for understanding!!!!

Sweet! Thanks for commenting - I love it!!

Please excuse the word verification. I'm not interested in comment advertising!! Lol.