Sunday, February 3, 2013

Superbowl Crockpot BBQ Hot Wings

Superbowl is a big event at my house. None of our favorite teams are playing, but we got used to our disappointment over a month ago. Lol. Now we're lookin' forward to seeing the 49ers womp the Ravens... I mean, a competitive game with the best commercials of the year. *shrug* We can hope!!

I'm on a funky diet this year that is a balance between eating cheap & eating healthier. I should have confessed that earlier in January, but I'm with all the non-resolutionists - best to not blab too loudly if I have a resolution I actually hope to keep. *cough* Announcements seem to preclude failure anywheres within three feet of me. And I'm mobile. So, watch out.

I found these organic chicken wings on a great deal and I just happened to have an entire bottle of Tony Roma's BBQ, which... well... is worth drinking right out of the bottle. (That's not part of "healthy", the drinking of BBQ sauce, that's a part of cheap. For Tony Romas, it was a good deal.) (See my "balance"? Lol. Maybe some day I'll admit the parts I consider a "diet" but this probably isn't the right post.)

I looked up BBQ Chicken Wings in Crockpot on the internet and found this recipe repeated all over the place, like it's the best (only) one out there, so I'm giving it a try:

From About.Com Southern Food & Food.com. I deleted the other 4 mentions of the same recipe I pulled up, but I'd love to hear who came up with it first. If it's as delicious as it sounds like it might be.

Spicy chicken wings are cooked in the crockpot with honey and barbecue sauce, along with spicy seasonings.
Ingredients:
  • 3 pounds chicken wings (16 wings)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 1/2 cups any variety barbecue sauce
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 teaspoons prepared mustard or spicy mustard
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    Chicken Wings With BBQ Sauce for the Crock Pot!. Photo by lazyme
  • Tabasco to taste, optional
Preparation:
Rinse chicken wings; pat dry. Cut off and discard wing tips then cut each wing at the joint to make two sections. Sprinkle wing pieces with salt and pepper; place wings on an lightly oiled broiler pan. Broil about 4 inches from the heat for 10 minutes on each side, or until chicken wings are nicely browned. Transfer chicken wings to crockpot.
In a bowl, combine barbecue sauce, honey, spicy mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco. Pour sauce over chicken wings. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours or on High 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Serve directly from slow cooker, keeping temperature on LOW. Makes about 30 chicken wings.

So..... since I never look up recipes before purchasing ingredients, I had half as many wings as called for, but some thighs lying around, so I cut out the bone and labeled 'em "boneless chicken wings". We'll see if the kids buy it. Why not?

I also don't have Tabasco, which is weird. I have this vague memory of a Tabasco sauce sitting in the door of the fridge for year, but I think I read the expiration date on it a few years back and tossed it out. I think they're good for up to 5 years past the expiration, but 8's pushin' it. I guess we don't use Tabasco much. Don't worry (I can see you're concerned). I have relatives in Mexico and I know how to heat things up. Ever heard of Chiltipins? I have lots. I'd love to dare someone to eat one of the lil' pea-sized dried peppers straight. That'd be fun to watch. I also have it ground... so I tossed in a half teaspoon. This will require taste-testing to see if I got it slightly hot or what?  It's never a good idea to guess too much on the Chiltipins. (If you pronounce that with your best Spanish accent emphacizing the final "i", you'll be saying Chiltipins all day. Must come from Aztec, or something. What's that language that shoves "lt" together all the time? Beautiful.)

Um... I don't have honey, either. The story behind that is, I'm trying to find a very local honey dealer who might have bees that live near me... 'cause I heard that's very good at fighting allergies. You'd think that living in the country, I'd find a honey producer near me quickly, but no... everything is miles away including shops that sell fresh honey, so... um... while attempting to hunt down the "right" honey, I have no honey. Messed up, I know. But... I am trying to be healthy and Agave is the newest, greatest sweetener of choice. Even on sale, it's stupid expensive. Why I can't get honey for $4 a tiny bottle but it's ok to get Agave for $4 a tiny bottle, I'm not sure. I didn't realize I was being so... silly... 'til this very moment. (Oh, the endless benefits of blogging!)

I think I've changed this recipe enough to almost call it a new recipe:

Burgandy Ice's Crockpot Awesome-Sauce Wings:
  
* 8 Chicken Wings  - discard tips, remove some skin, separate into two pieces
 * 4 Chicken Thighs - cut away two strips of chicken from each thigh approx the size of a wing = Boneless!
 * salt & pepper to taste - broil chicken pieces one side 10 mins, flip & broil 5 more mins 
(This step, the broiling step, is the winner to this recipe, I think. Those wings look yummy enough to eat after getting a little crispified.) 
Combine to make awesome-sauce: * 1 1/2 cu. Tony Roma's BBQ Sauce (or whichever sauce you LOVE.)
 * 2 tsp. spicy honey-sweetened mustard * 2 tsp. Worchester sauce * 1/2 tsp. Chiltipins (or to taste) 
Place the crispified delicious-lookin' wings in the crockpot and pour the awesome-sauce over the top. Cook on hi for 1 - 1 1/2 hrs or low for 4-ish hours. (If you leave it in there too long, the meat will melt off the bones, as you can imagine, and then it's more like awesome sauce with floating crispified chicken pieces and random bones. No doubt it's yummy, but part of the "experience" is holdin' yer wings and getting awesome-sauce all over yer face. So... plan ahead.)

I think.. the whole idea of Recipe Posts is to eat the deliciousness to share the Full Report. That makes sense. I mean... what if I just shared some hot wings that'll burn the stomach lining of all the masses rushing to make my version of this well-known Chicken Wing recipe?!  hahahahahahaha  I know, right? That's funny. *shakes head* "Masses". Chances are, you don't have Chiltipins, anyway. (Hey... if you want to just pop one and take pictures of your reaction for me, shoot me your address!! That'd be hilarious.)

No results 'til later then. I wonder what we'll have with these awesome wings? Hm..... What are you cookin' today to watch the Bowl with? (Or read during the bowl with. Lol.)