Wednesday, February 4, 2015

My Review: The Fire Wish by Amber Lough

The Fire Wish (The Jinni Wars, #1)


The Fire Wish 
by Amber Lough

The title & cover link to Goodreads - check out the book info there!

Quick Review:

I really enjoyed this book from cover to cover.

It's not gritty or deep, but it's such a foreign culture, I appreciated the gentle beauty of everything. The stones sparkle, the coverings on the door blow in the breeze... it's pleasant and new and fresh.

Also, I did not see the twists and turns coming, which I also appreciate. Najwa and Zayele are interesting characters with unpredictable connections. They felt young to me, just discovering themselves and surprised when there are consequences to their actions.

It's hard not to spoil something...

I liked the two boys... Atish is amazing and Prince Kamal is cool, too. I thought the romantic connections were surprising and fun, if gentle and light and young.  In the cultural setting, I'm not sure they would be allowed the option of taking any action based on those feelings, so giving them more credence or acting upon them would've been unrealistic.

Yep, the beautiful, unique culture was my favorite character in the story. I especially love the daring way the women had to cover up so only hands and face were exposed... or they were locked on the barge, etc.  The story showed how even when people are suppressed and controlled (a harem?!) they break through, being themselves even while "being obedient".

I give this story 4 stars and I would be interested in reading more in the series. Actually, the culture is slightly addictive. This writing is a safe entrance to an survivable place (I could not live in a harem. Nope.) I will want to come back.