Wednesday, October 14, 2015

My 4.5 star #bookreview of @CHMcFarland 's Soul of Smoke

Ha!!  Totally loved it.

Soul of Smoke (Dragonsworn, #1)

Soul of Smoke
by Caitlyn McFarland

My "Aha!" moment reading this book was when Kai Monahan pulls out Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight.  Kai's personality is a lot like Lessa's... and there just never was enough Lessa for me. The main kicker is a bucket-load of attitude (that fits well, of course, and isn't overly whiney), a huge destiny and an extra dose of back-peddling or running the other way.

I am not opposed to insta-love situations, but it is irritating that if someone is going to magically fall in love with someone else they automatically lose a connection to logic or forget to ask "why am I going along with this?" That kinda makes me feel like we're a bunch of humanoid beasts with raging instincts that take over whether we like it or not. So... insta-love with a great big "NO WAY!" really hits the spot. I agree with Kai. Just because we got something going on does not mean I'm sold with the idea. Convince me first!!

Meanwhile there's all that awesome romantic tension and it is soooo great. Seeing this book listed in the New Adult section was also an "Aha!" moment for me, too. This is the genre at it's best for me, loaded with potential rather than too much description. I have a decent imagination and I'm ready to use it, thx.

This book has a complete story and an entire cast of incredible characters... all of which I'm invested in. Kai has a great best friend who finds herself in an even bigger pickle than Kai and I love how she takes life on head-first.  The dragon community is beautiful and arrogant and also loaded with faulty characters with wide ranges of goals. Everyone is intelligent and unique and way too fun. Kai's best friend might be the best character of all, the smooth bard. *shiver* But no one is safe and even if the story is complete-ish, I wanted to throw a mini-fit when I reached the end of the book only to find the next two are scheduled to be released rapid-fire, 3 months apart.  I immediately pre-ordered book 2.

I'm docking the story .5 point for institutional stuff that is not a big deal the first time through. There's a good chance I'll re-read this book and the series and I'll be sure to change my rating if I love it more instead of less.  Regardless... read this book even though the 3rd won't be out 'til December. I don't want to be alone in my keening, craving huddle of emotional mess.  Join me!!