Thursday, January 19, 2012

Booking Through Thursday

Some of the funnest posts to read follow this Meme*, so I'm going to give it a go...


btt button
saw this article the other day that asked, “Are you ashamed of skipping parts of books?” Which, naturally, made me want to ask all of YOU.
Do you skip ahead in a book? Do you feel badly about it when you do?

Hahahahaha

Answering this question is not really fair. If I was ashamed to skip parts of books, wouldn't I (logically) more more ashamed of admitting that I skipped parts of books?

Here's the thing... different books beg to be read at different speeds. (I don't know about you, but I communicate with 'em, I guess.) Some books require attention to plot detail, but don't necessarily grab my interest in the way they're written. When I read every word on the page, I lose interest and set the book aside, which... is no big deal if, say, it's not a NetGalley request that I feel obligated to follow through on, for example.  *ahem*  And what if (hypothetically) time was running out on my request and the book really deserved the Review even if I can't make myself, uh, read every word? What then?  (Request another 55 days? Joy.)

I call it "skimming", not "skipping" (sheesh!)  I leap from chapter to chapter and skim for meaningful parts while getting the gist of the action, the core of the conflicts, the best of the book (in a bare-bones sort of way) without.... setting it aside or, uh, slogging through the delivery.

Sometimes (hypothetically speaking) I request a book without paying close attention to the age range, for example, and what may be thrilling for my 5th grader just isn't pulling me in.  Is that the fault of the book?  Or the rapid-fire NetGalley requesting finger?

So, my answer is YES!!!!!  I admit it!!!  Sometimes I SKIM parts of books!!


I do feel badly, but it's better than ignoring a maybe-really-good-to-somebody, book!**

And... I do get a decent overview so I know whether I want to get it for my 5th grader. Hypothetically.

BTW... the article this question links to is very interesting (if you're not skimming my post here and want to consider this question for yourself.)  And to answer his question, I don't think e-readers make a difference, I really do think the book itself dictates whether I'll read every word or skim. And I agree with Maugham about enjoying what I read. I think "enjoyment" is, all by itself, one of my Main Goals.

Now, what about you?  Do you skim?  Please answer confidently.  I can hardly hold it against you having admitted to it myself.  



Meme  (from Booking Through Thursday's "About")meme n (mëm): A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another. From the Greek mimëma, something imitated, from mimeisthai, to imitate.


Ha!!  Another great Term for my List!!!

**Bold and italics provided for skimming blog-readers.  You're Welcome!!  jajajaja

13 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I like the word skimming better than skipping. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thought
    http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2012/01/booking-through-thursday_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to skim (sometimes skip) over technical details, many dream sequences, and most poetry (if it's within the text of the story). I also don't care to try to struggle through cryptic prophecies. They are usually mentioned at least several more times as the characters figure them out, so I don't take the time to make any attempt to puzzle them out myself - I'll just wait for the characters to tell me or let the action speak for itself.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that if differs from book to book how much you feel that it's necessary to pay attention to details. In crime novels for example I often skim through scenes of violence and forensic detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a skimmer and a new follower. here is my link if you wish to read and follow http://totallybookedsolid.blogspot.com/2012/01/booking-through-thursday_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit I don't usually skim but sometimes. If I do skim I don't fully review the book or I completely admit to it in my review and why I did it. Some books I just only enjoy certain charters and I want to read their scenes. Then I just get bored so I skip until I get to the parts with those characters again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great answer! I don't usually skip any parts except for love scenes that might be too steamy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I think some books are meant to be read quickly, sometimes even skimming, while others must be savored.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally agreed with your answers. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I rarely skim or skip, if I don't find the book interesting or entertaining, I just don't finish it. Most of the books I don't read I donate to the local library, I figure someone may enjoy it even if I didn't.

    Thanks for the visit and following my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's almost a compulsion that no matter how dull I think the passage in the book, I still don't skip or skim.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems that most people skim instead of skip. I rarely do it(keep hoping to find something good even in the boring bits) but i understand it. You get past the boring parts but still keep track of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. different books beg to be read at different speeds. (I don't know about you, but I communicate with 'em, I guess.) Some books require attention to plot detail, but don't necessarily grab my interest in the way they're written.

    I agree with that statement. I tend to skip when I feel that I haven't gone anywhere.

    And no, I don't think e-readers encourage skipping because like you said, it depends on the book. :)

    Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I skim. And I skip. Bow. Love your engaging reply :)

    ReplyDelete

This is an award-free, tag-free zone. Thank you for understanding!!!!

Sweet! Thanks for commenting - I love it!!

Please excuse the word verification. I'm not interested in comment advertising!! Lol.