Monday, March 26, 2012

Have a cup of tea...

A cup of tea, a stack of books.....Welcome! Make yourself comfy! It's time for a little venting.

Today's tea is a delicious Assam, since Alexia brought it up in Soulless in my reading. A strange American scientist brewed some delicious tea on his chase while taking Alexia for a ride on a lovely afternoon, but I shall quote a more awkward tea moment in the vampire estate:
"Countess Nadasdy served the tea. Mess Tarabotti took hers with milk, Miss Dair took hers with lemon, and the vampires took theirs with a dollop of blood, still warm and poured out of a crystal pitcher. Alexia tried not to think too hard about its origin. Then the scientific part of her wondered what would happen if that jug contained preternatural blood. Would it be toxic or just convert them to human state for a certain lenghth of time?" Pg 88  Soulless
I am having my tea with cream & sugar. Usually I have it black, but sometimes a little sweet is nice.

First up for discussion is Reading Books.

Apparently my eyes are bigger than my stomach is when it comes to books.  I have accumulated a shocking amount of books in a short amount of time. I've been blogging for almost six months and I have more books to read than I can manage in the next six, and that's not counting all the ones I really want to read. Either I bury myself under my TBR pile, or I compromise my Reading Wants.

rosy cloud daffodilThis issue came up this past week (for me) because I was attempting to finish a book that wasn't holding my attention. It's not that it wasn't good - it was well written and complicated and anything I might ask for, but I kept wandering off doing anything-but-reading.  (This is not managing my reading time well.)

In my defense, it is Spring... and the sun came out and illuminated my obsession with piles. Oh, how I love piles. I have piles of every sort imaginable covering almost every available surface... all awaiting my decision of what I want to do with 'em.

Like these Lima bean seeds in a plastic baggie with a wet towel attempting to germinate so they can be planted by some little person. I ask you... what do I do with the wet Lima beans?!  If I throw them away, someone will ask where they are. I could chuck 'em out the window and say I planted them... it'd get the same results as if I actually planted 'em.  Hm... that might be a possibility...

Stacks of BooksAs for my TBR pile... I am going to communicate with those authors and publishers with delicious reads and ask if they wouldn't mind an Interview instead of a Review. Because, as in Monday's post on Candlewax, I love getting author insight on their book. It makes me want to read it more... and that ache of want is delicious. And who knows?  I'll be able to review it some day, right?

What about you? Are you keeping up with your TBR pile?  Are you accumulating more than you're reading?!  Do you have a plan on dealing with that?  Or are you building a library?!

15 comments:

  1. I'm definitely NOT keeping up with my TBR piles (or shall I say mountain ranges of unread books *cough*), though on the bright side I always keep my review pile under ten books (in fact, right now I have six more to read/review) so I don't feel completely overwhelmed. Sadly, despite my book buying ban since January, my "normal" TBR piles aren't shrinking either even though I'm reading like crazy. It's scary, really, and by the looks of it I AM building a library after all ;-D!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah. You sound very orderly.

      I think keeping your review pile to 10-and-under is a great idea. Great job. I'm going to work towards that direction.

      Delete
  2. I only read for fun, so it's no big deal if I am not keeping up with my TBR piles. I have dedicated one shelf for my TBR pile and try to work my way through it fast enough to free enough space for new books. But that doesn't always work as I sometimes buy more books than I can read in a month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *jealously nods & smiles enthusiastically* Wow! Good for you!! Reading for fun is seriously stickin' to the whole point of reading!!!

      I like the idea of a dedicated shelf. You deal in all real books? Half my shelf is digital.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, my TBR pile is ridiculous too! I've managed to cut it down from about 15 to about 10 right now, but I always seem to get more books and add them before it gets anywhere near a manageable level!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey... nice name!

      10-15 is closer to manageable. I think that would be like a month or two or three for me (depending on Spring Break schedules and stuff). That might be a number to aim at... to know when I'm over-the-limit, maybe. Like "panic at 20", or something.

      Delete
  4. I love my TBR pile! My little library feels so cozy and I never run out of anything to read. Most of my books are used finds, authors and titles I like or am curious about. I occasionally run out of shelf space which is when I sort and rearrange and give books away or take them down to my favorite used-book store for a credit. They've got a great selection and the books are all in really good shape. It's a pretty good system that keeps me in books on the cheap. I say, keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I'm not sure whether to punch you in the shoulder or give you a great big hug. You're a happy reader with a cozy library!!!! You've achieved something beautiful... I feel like a scatterbrained mess talking with you, but I'm happy for you!

      Delete
  5. Recently I got a bit overwhelmed by my TBR pile as well as my to re-read pile (I re-read extensively, and I usually have to re-read a book before giving it away, selling it, etc...). I felt like I didn't know where to start, so I decided to make a list dictating in what order I'll be reading my piles, and a reward system that allows me to buy one book per every 50 read (in order). While it hasn't stopped me from buying books (I don't think anything every will TBH), it's gotten me to slow down on buying them since they go straight to the bottom of the list. Weirdly, this system is working for me, possibly because I've tricked myself into believing the reward system :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding them to the bottom of the pile is a good idea. Re-reading before you pass 'em on is cool, too. You re-read almost every book? Wow!

      Delete
  6. I just read for pleasure and review those books. I never had a TBR shelf until Borders closed (I think I bought them out). I normally read on my Nook and would just download whatever I wanted to read next. Now I have a whole bookshelf at home full of unread books. Since I travel for work I do not always take those books- I will use my nook instead. But my biggest problem is my Wishlist. It is OUT-OF-CONTROL. I see books from other blogs, friends, B&N, Goodreads, gift shops, airports, pretty much anywhere there are books I find something I want to read and I write it down. You can find pieces of paper everywhere in my things with books on them. I finally organized it into an excel grid and my wishlist is over 300 books long. I really have no idea when I will ever read all these books especially when I am constantly adding more to it. Some times I get really overwhelmed at the number of books out there and how am I ever going to read them. But for now I'm working my way 1 at a time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to have boughten a bunch of books!!! I love my Nook, too. It's amazing how many books I read on it - not enough, though!!! :-)

    I totally hear ya on a growin' Wishlist. Ya!! It's overwhelming if you think of when you'll read 'em all. 'Cause more great books keep popping up with no respect for mountainous Wishlists already in place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Small bits of content which are explained in details, helps me understand the topic, thank you!

    Blooming teas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! I love this Blooming Teas website!!! Thanks! I'll use it in future CuppaTea posts!! Thx!!!!

      Delete

This is an award-free, tag-free zone. Thank you for understanding!!!!

Sweet! Thanks for commenting - I love it!!

Please excuse the word verification. I'm not interested in comment advertising!! Lol.