Thursday, March 15, 2012

Review - Legend by Marie Lu

Legend

Hardcover305 pages
Published November 29th 2011 by Putnam Juvenile


Premise: Ganked from Goodreads:
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem. 
From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias' death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets. 
Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills. 

My Review:

Yes!!

This book is TOTALLY AWESOME!! 

Out of SightHave you ever seen that movie from 1998, Out of Sight, with Jennifer Lopez and George Clooney?! This book reminded me of what I wished that movie had been.
There’s the smokin’ hot girl who kicks butt for a living and she’s the best at it.

Then there’s the rebel guy, also smokin’ hot, so good at being bad, he’s become a legend.

The girl hunts down the guy and they have this connection where they see each other and almost see themselves in a mirror, each recognizing that if they had switched places, they would be where the other is. *sigh* Exactly.

I love, love, LOVE this!!!  I love the way she is sooooo good and he is sooooo good and neither of them need to have a crack in their armor to be together!!  YES!!! 

I love the sheer impossibility of it!!  Lu dares each of them to be true to themselves and still overcome the huge obstacles in their way – she dares them!! And then lets them carry it out, exactly what they would do, exactly how they would do it.

June is hard, unbendable, almost icy cold intimidating. I can see why some people have connected with her (reading other reviews that didn't rave as much as mine!) But I enjoyed her. There was background for every action she took and youth to be trusting of her superiors and friends. Her character made sense to me, although she might have some emotional issues to deal with later!!  :-)

Day has more heart and soul than the entire Republic combined. He is kind, self-sacrificing, devoted to his family, braving old injuries... and still accomplishes the impossible repeatedly. He's gotta be one of the All-Time Best Rebels.

The city of Los Angeles was great, so run down in some sections, so flashy rich in others. The Republic vs. the Colonies is downright creepy. There’s a description of the rebel flag with 13 red stripes and 50 white dots that totally hit me sideways… like seeing the American flag through a stranger’s eyes.

I loved the way I did not know what was going to happen. I had wishes and hopes, but I wasn’t sure. I pieced the puzzle pieces together only right before June did, which brought on that wonderful TaDa!! as I connected all the hints with her. I loved the way I was left in the dark so long, loved the puzzle.
But mostly I love the connectedness between June and Day. They fit together so well, very mutually respectful of each other. This is a book I will want to reread just to climb the buildings so skillfully!!

I pulled these pictures of Marie Lu's website, where she has games, design your own character - all around Legend, which sounds like it was some time in the making!!

My Rating: 5 - Love it!!

The Amazing Author:


Marie Lu - 
I write young adult novels, and have a special love for dystopian books. Ironically, I was born in 1984. I like food, fighter jets, afternoon tea, happy people, electronics, the interwebz, cupcakes, pianos, bright colors, rain, Christmas lights, sketches, animation, dogs, farmers' markets, video games, and of course, books. I suck at working out. I also get lost very easily, but am a halfway decent driver for an Asian girl. At least, I like to think so. :) 
I was born near Shanghai, but settled down in Texas until I went off to college at the University of Southern California. California weather sweet-talked me into sticking around, so I'm currently in Pasadena with my boyfriend, two Pembroke Welsh Corgis, and a chihuahua mix. 

mree's Profile Picture














Find & Follow:


Get Your Copy!!

Indiebound!
Barnes & Noble 
Amazon: