Friday, April 27, 2012

Obsessed with Color Snapshot

Saturday Snapshot is hosted by Alyce @ At Home With Books for sharing pictures.

Hangin' around the shop, color has taken on new meaning for me. Each color is made up of a mix of different tints, some unexpected, some totally unrelated.  It's fascinating. By far I like wet paint best, although the fumes will give ya a loopy feeling.

One of my favorite tints is "aluminum". There's fine, coarse, large flake. It adds glisten or sparkle to the color. Pearls add those fine twinkly specks plus depth. This silver has some of both. I follow my Cool, Man around like a lil' duck every time he's mixing paint 'cause I can't get enough.

And it's so beautiful when it's wet!


I'm not saying mixing house paint isn't cool - it is.  But nothing's like wet automotive paint!!  And is pretty much off-limits for viewing 'cause any flaws - like dust from clothes or oil from skin, never mind a bug or a stray hair - means a re-do. The entire panel has to be re-painted. Sometimes the entire car. So... these are kinda rare pictures.


Unless you own a bodyshop, I suppose. Then it's like inspiration for more color obsession!!!

22 comments:

  1. Looks like that's going to be a might fine looking Mustang when it's done

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad is a mechanic, and I love when he's painting cars! The paint mix is really cool, like you said! I'd say the bright colors are the coolest, but it is really tricky when it comes to having to respray or do it all over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, cool!! :-D You totally know what I mean!! how fun is that?!

      Delete
  3. This was very interesting. I didn't know anything at all about car paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, yea... it hasn't shown up in books much, yet. I will see if I can change that!! lol

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Nice way to put it!! I don't think car-painters use the term "delicate" much, but that's it, alrighty!!

      Delete
  5. That is completely fascinating! I love the look of wet paint too. It's irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That 'aluminum' color is pretty cool! But all that car painting sounds like too much work for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew painting a car is pretty complicated, but didn't realize you had to be that careful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great spotlight on color. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a friend whose husband owns a body shop. She's helped him paint vehicles many times!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see the finished product. I've sanded, primed and painted a car before. It is LOTS of work!!
    Here's My Photo

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's impressive! Once my husband and his father tried to paint our old camero. It did not turn out well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such detailed work ... and one must be sooo careful in the shop when the painting is going on! Our neighbor restores old Model T's and other antique cars. He has one whole section of his shop that is sealed off when the painting is going on ...amazing work! But oh, the colors and the shine of new paint!

    Very cool picture and post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband's going to be so jealous when I tell him about this....he's been talking about repainting our '66 Mustang(or having it done, rather). Looking good!

    Here's my Snapshot: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2012/04/saturday-snapshot-april-28.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's something amazing about the wet look on cars. I once had a friend who paid a body shop to have her car painted. The painters didn't tape off the trim and painted over the bumpers and all the trim. They told her it was a European look, for no extra charge. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the colors! I agree watching paint being mixed is an awesome experience! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have a lovely pg here. Enjoy it...somehow restful. Color in your post more lovely than the aluminum I associate with pots and the metal on the Tin Man. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

This is an award-free, tag-free zone. Thank you for understanding!!!!

Sweet! Thanks for commenting - I love it!!

Please excuse the word verification. I'm not interested in comment advertising!! Lol.