Saturday, June 30, 2012

Saturday Snapshot - Yellowstone!!

Saturday Snapshot is hosted by At Home with Books

I haven't downloaded all the pictures from our Road Trip, yet, amazingly.  There's so much to do upon returning from vacation!!  Reliving the experience isn't at the top of the priority pile. Laundry has taken over first, followed by peanut butter (or food in the house) with sprinklings of "where's my....?" as we unpack stuff and find out treasures.

We had so much fun, and I have so many pictures just from my camera. One of the highlights for all of us was taking Cool, Man to Yellowstone for Father's Day. I'll never top that, I don't think!!

My pix are more enthusiastic than great - I should clip this one to show the baby elk with the spotted back, but I kinda like the rumps in the shot, don't you?  Lol.


Happy Father's Day!!

Our kids are fascinated with volcanoes already, so checking out all these bubblin', stinkin' pools was Totally Awesome for them. We pulled off the road all over the place and had contests for spotting smoke in odd places.


For me, this is MEGA-EERIE:  hangin' out in a live volcano.  I had to tell myself over -n- over, "it hasn't blown for YEARS, it won't erupt NOW."  Everything about this part of Yellowstone pretty much screams "dangerous!" And it's so big. No wonder people come up with movies about "what if" it really blew up and destroyed the USA - I mean, it's HUGE and so..... active!!!

Uh... this is Old Faithful itself about to blow.

More stinking pools plus the friendly buffalo

I know you're supposed to stay 30 feet away from the buffalo, but this one didn't get the memo. He plunked down right next to the walking path to people-watch.

This is my favorite, The Dragon's Mouth. It sounds like it, too, spittin' & hissin' and spewin' smoke that was so thick with sulfur, it was hard to breath this close.  I like thinking there's a real dragon in there.

We felt like we saw "everything but a bear" - although, I guess we only saw.... an eagle, the elk, lots -n- lots of buffalo & a couple moose, which leaves lots of wild life we didn't see. But we wanted to see a bear. Since we keep bringing it up, we've heard some wild bear stories.

I guess my mom camped at Yellowstone when she was 12-ish and came face to face with a bear while taking out the trash. She ran one way and the bear ran the other!!  Yikes!!  (I'm so glad she made it!)

Do you have a bear story?!

27 comments:

  1. I was just in Yellowstone yesterday! It's one of my favorite places on Earth. Luckily, I live close enough that we can go several times a year.

    And actually, you probably drove right past my house on your way, if you went through the West Yellowstone entrance!

    *waves hello retroactively*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *waves* We totally went through West Yellowstone!!

      (As if "partially" is an option?)

      What a cute town! So, do you see bears all the time?!

      Delete
    2. We usually see 2-3 per trip, which is awesome because we used to not see any at all. Last time, we were the first ones to see a big grizzly and we caused the traffic jam! That was on our Yellowstone bucket list. :P

      West Yellowstone had the cutest little used bookshop (The Bookworm) for the longest time, and when I went to go in yesterday, they had closed shop for good. *sob* It made me so sad! It was shops like that one that totally added to the cuteness of the town!

      Delete
    3. What a great reply.... I totally *gasped* and then *nodded* & got excited about the bookstore & pouted about it closing - all at once!! Lol.

      I drove some & I was doin' that trick where ya look out the window and barely stay on the road thing. Hoping for a first grizzly sighting like that. Too fun!

      Delete
  2. Awesome is the word - we have nothing like that in England, and it's hard to imagine the scale of Yellowstone. My snapshots are at My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/l9bDi

    ReplyDelete
  3. No bear stories, and no buffalo sightings nearly as good as yours--what a great picture! Obviously the buffalo wanted to mug for the camera...

    I love all the bubbling mud and jets of steam--the earth just looks so active!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Elks butts too. What a cool thing to see, a sizzling Volcano.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elk rumps are definitely striking looking! I bet the friendly buffalo was enjoying a warm nap. I've never been to Yellowstone, but I'd love to go someday. I saw one of those volcano documentaries and it was creepy. All of my bear stories involve black bears in pretty harmless situations. I lived in the country growing up, so we'd see them every so often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya - creepy is right!!! I'm not sure I'd want to see bears "every so often". Lol. Just from the car when I'm lookin' for 'em.

      If/when you go... give yourself TIME!! It's so big, we flew thru so fast, we only saw a little bit. I think we'll have to go again and spend a night or four somewhere (safe from bears!)

      Delete
  6. My only bear story is about bears in a small zoo, pretending they're the three bears. Only see them up close in a zoo.

    Daughter and her boyfriend, when they were in New Zealand, saw lots of bubbling mud. The land of volcanoes but none have erupted in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great trip!! I'd love to go to New Zealand!!!

      Delete
  7. I worked for a summer in Yellowstone when I was eighteen, so Yellowstone will always be my favorite place on earth.

    Here's my
    Saturday Snapshot.
    I hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, what a great job!! That's probably the ONLY way to explore the park right!!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing your road trip adventures. Hubby and I just got back from one as well and the laundry is still on the line♫♪ The only bears I want to meet are the wooden ones I can stand next to, photograph and caption them with "bear with me'♫♪

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I'm workin' my way thru the laundry, gettin' to the smoky-smellin' blankets from the camp fires. Almost caught up!!

      Delete
  9. These are truly amazing photos. Must have been awesome to experience first hand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I've ever seen a bear, live, not even in a zoo. I tend to gravitate to the cats. Those are awesome pix. Our world is a wonderful place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats are awesome. I think I'm more nervous of seeing cats in the wild than bears... 'cause they already know you're there and are crouched to pounce by the time you see 'em!! I feel like the mouse too easily!! Not that I've seen so many in the wild. *ahem* I have a vivid imagination, I guess.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful pics!
    I used to live in mountains when I was younger and we had many encounters with bears from them getting into the trash to almost hitting them with the car because they were crossing the road. Also, the next door neighbor had a bird feeder in their yard and a cub came by, scratched it open and bent the pole to pour it into his mouth. The cub was at least 5 feet tall and only about 10-15 feet away from us. I stayed next to the door in case his momma came back. :) Glad you all had a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, you win!!! Lol. I'd hate to hit 'em with the car!! Yikes!

      Delete
  12. Great shots. I love the bison one most.

    ReplyDelete

This is an award-free, tag-free zone. Thank you for understanding!!!!

Sweet! Thanks for commenting - I love it!!

Please excuse the word verification. I'm not interested in comment advertising!! Lol.