Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Kelly Oram visits Colorimetry!



Kelly OramKelly Oram wrote her first novel at age fifteen–a fan fiction about her favorite music group, The Backstreet Boys, for which family and friends still tease her. She's obsessed with reading, talks way too much, and loves to eat frosting by the spoonful. She lives outside of Phoenix, Arizona with her husband and four children.



Kelly's writing style makes me feel like I already know her... catch my reviews of V Is for Virgin and Chameleon in the next two days!

Please welcome Kelly Oram to Colorimetry!!


* How did you know you wanted to write?
Actually, that’s a funny answer. I didn’t realize I wanted to write until long after I’d already been doing it. I wrote stories for years without realizing how much I loved it. It wasn’t until after I started to build a small online fan base where I posted my work, and had lots of people tell me I should publish my stuff that I realized I wanted to try writing professionally.

* When did you find your style? (Seriously LOVE!)
Why, thank you! I actually know exactly when I discovered my style. For a long time I wrote everything in third person. (He did this… She went there…) Then one day I got bored and decided to write a book in first person. (I did this… I went there…) The difference in my writing was day and night. I think my personal “voice” is one of my stronger qualities as a writer and I never really discovered it until I started writing in first person.

* What all have you written - published and stuffed in the closet?
Oh, there’s no way to remember everything I’ve written. I have endless notebooks tucked away on shelves and a hard drive full of stuff that will never see the light of day. I wrote lots of fan fiction for years. I mainly wrote Backstreet Boys stories. (Yeah, I know…) but I also wrote in lots of other fandoms like Smallville, Supernatural, Castle, NCIS, and others. Then I was active on fictionpress.com for a few years and posted some of my earliest original fiction novels there. Those are fun, but I go back and read them and cringe a little bit. (My writing has come a long way over the years!)

As far as published work goes, Chameleon is my 5th novel. I have one sci-fi book (Being Jamie Baker), three contemporary stand alones, (Serial Hottie, V is for Virgin, and The Avery Shaw Experiment) and now my first paranormal fantasy (Chameleon). All of them can be found on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

* What's next?!
Well, so many people begged me for more Jamie Baker that I finally got un-lazy and decided to finish the trilogy, so the second book in the Jamie Baker series (More Than Jamie Baker) will be my next release. It’s scheduled to release in January 2014. I know that’s far away, but for those who absolutely cannot wait six more months, the first three chapters of the book will be published at the end of Chameleon as an exclusive sneak peak. After that, there is still one more Jamie Baker book and three more Supernaturals books, so I will be very busy for the next couple of years!

* Share something personal!!!  Where do you like to write? Any special snacks?
This may sound random, but I love to take my laptop to the Arbys down the street from my house. A, they’re never that busy so it’s nice and quiet and my children can’t bug me. B, There is an endless supply of caffeine. C, Their booths are padded and comfy but they keep the air conditioning up so high that it’s too cold for me to fall asleep. D, there is no internet connection to distract me, so I get a lot more accomplished in a shorter amount of time. And E, their cherry turnovers are super yummy!

As far as snacks? (Aside from Arby’s cherry turnovers!) I love Diet Dr. Pepper and popcorn. Seriously. I eat popcorn by the truckload. I know… breakfast of champions.


Thank you for coming, Kelly!!  I love popcorn, too. We're the same!!!  Yay!! Honestly, I can see how finding a "hot spot" WITHOUT internet would help with writing. Internet is quite the distraction!!  (That's my excuse for the day!)  I don't know Jamie Baker, yet... sounds like I need to read about her!!  I am looking forward to another book with Dani - I hope you have another book planned after Chameleon!!

Thanks for visiting!!

Catch up up-coming reviews on V Is For Virgin & Chameleon - plus, enter to win the $50 Gift Card on the Chameleon tour!

V is for Virgin  Chameleon (Supernaturals, #1)