Saturday, November 5, 2011

Fav New Blog Find... Jaded Little Girl

I love hoppin' and surfin' book blogs... suddenly I find myself absorbed in the un-glamorous side of Fairy Tales. Chen of Jaded Little Girl has a unique view of fairy tales that is as fresh as it is old. Her pictures add to her writing.

Fairy Tale Friday #5 - Shoes 


I had to write as ask how Chen knew so many details?

I know some of this gritty stuff about fairy tales because I love fairy tales. I own anthologies, theories, criticisms, etc about fairy tales. (Three of my papers in college were about fairy tales!!!) I still need to start a collection of DVDs, anything related to fairy tales. Some of my favorite fairy tales include "The Little Mermaid" and "The Little Match Girl." They are both by Hans Christian Andersen, and they both make me feel emotional because of the sad endings. The absence of happily ever afters tells me that not everyone has a typical happy ending but they do have endings.

It's fun to read about the original fairy tales and find any connecting themes. So when I think of a topic (such as amputation, the color red, kisses...), I try to come up with a list of fairy tales that relate to that topic. Some of my future topics include: apples, 7 deadly sins, shoes, etc. 

"Gritty stuff" is right... Fairy Tale Friday #5 is on Amputation, with visual aides!


Fairy Tale Friday #2 - The Color Red 

What more can I share about you?

I'm working on a fairy tale dystopian novel called Beautiful/Wild. It's a retelling of "Beauty and the Beast" set in a dystopian world. This is the synopsis of my WIP on my blog. 

"Beauty and the Beast" retelling in a dystopian world where the society performs surgeries to make you look princess beautiful, pair you up with your perfect Prince Charming, and give you everything you need for a happy ending. Arabella has waited all her life for her 18th birthday so she can have all her dreams come true until she meets Leo and falls in love without the society's permission.

I'm still in the early stage of writing this book, but I hope to finish by the end of the year! I'm even participating in NaNoWriMo to try to write as much as possible! I hope that once I finish writing and editing, I can query agents! I never thought I would write a dystopian novel. I love reading the genre, but I thought I wouldn't be creative enough to write my own. Then one day, I thought to combine fairy tales and dystopia together! My first original idea was to retell "Hansel and Gretel." Then as I started to form this plastic surgery idea, I knew a retelling of "Beauty and the Beast" would make more sense!