Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Terrier by Tamora Pierce

Terrier
Beka Cooper book 1
Written by: Tamora Pierce
2006
563 pgs
Library paperback

Summary: When sixteen-year-old Beka becomes "Puppy" to a pair of "Dogs", as the Povost's Guards are called, she uses her police training, natural abilities, and a touch of magic to help them solve the case of a murdered baby in Tortall's Lower City.

My Rating:  Virtually Loved it!  8.5
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Pierce delivered with precision. 

It is written as Journal Entries, which I liked. It's a good way to get inside Beka's thoughts, and she was very bright and detailed in the privacy of the journal. Of course, that style detracts from the danger level since I didn't find out who lived or died, etc, until she gets a quiet moment to catch up on her entries.

Having read Tortall books before, I was intrigued with the King of Thieves idea with the ruling Rogue. This story dove right into the thick of the Lower City. The city was gritty. I could hear it as I read and smell it, too. :-) Since Beka knew the city well and loved it, too, it was easy for me, as well.

Beka is a fun character. I enjoyed her crippling shyness as well as her determination to be true to her goals and values. Her icy blue eyes and freezing anger were great. She valued friendship highly, seeing through title and position to gather a great group of friends around her. I really love Beka's friends, including her constellation cat! The pigeons add more to the story than I would have guessed, which is too fun.

There is a hint of a love story that I hope continues in the next two books.

The only detraction for me was waiting for Beka to catch up with her own observations. She made special notes of clues as she tracked down dangerous killers and there was no way I was going to miss the highlighted clues as a reader. Yet when the obviously-coming answer popped up, Beka suddenly couldn't recall her own notes, which was contrary to her character. Fortunately the sudden brain-freezes were infrequent and quickly recovered.

I am getting hold of a copy of Bloodhound immediately to continue this story. I am thrilled that Mastiff was released today, and I'll get the entire trilogy all at once.  Yay!  :-)

Btw... the word "Terrier" had me picturing a Jack Russell terrier, which is little. Maybe they are tenacious, I don't actually know. After the reading the book, though, I was reminded more of Pit Bull Terriers. (Which I do know!) Especially the part of gripping onto an idea and not letting it go!

Mastiff would be a fun choice for my Spooctacular Giveaway. Just sayin'. Check out the link for my complicated rules.