Sunday, April 8, 2012

M is for Monday and Meme

You gotta LOVE Mondays, right?

No?

Me, neither.

At least, Book Journey starts the week pleasantly by asking about BOOKS!!



Soulless (Parasol Protectorate...I finished Soulless... and dove immediately into Changeless  (review forthcoming!)


Changeless (Parasol Protectora...This series is DELIGHTFUL. I love the wit and humor. Alexia is such a wonderful character... but I'm not reviewing right now...


I had to *pause* to read The Quaker State Affair, as a scheduled Tribute Tour stop. I didn't think I could tackle it in two days, which is all I left myself, but it was a zippy read for being such a solid book (in weight & topic!)



Heart of GoldAnd then I jumped into Heart of Gold on my Nook and it's cute!!  Hooked it's claws immediately, so I'm meandering through it quite happily, although I also picked up Calvin Miller's poetic retelling of the life & ministry of Jesus, since it was Easter week and the poetic side met me right where my contemplative side was hangin' out. (See below!!)



Angelfall (Penryn & the End of...When I finish... all of these books I'm in the middle of, I might get around to Angelfall, but it's very likely I'll continue with Alexia on into Blameless as well as pick something entirely new.  OR... maybe start my next scheduled Tour stop so I don't have to read it all in a day!!  That'd be The Kingdom on the Edge of Reality.


Musing Monday is hosted by Should be Reading...



What do you think are the top 5 books every woman should read?

Lol.

As in specifically a "woman"?!

1. Created to be his Helpmeet

You're going to think I'm crazy, but this old-school book about being a wife taught me a TON about how men think and what they value and what strengths I have as a wife & which things I shouldn't obsess over, etc, etc. I read this WAAAAY before I got married & made so many decisions that benefited the both of us from football to peanut butter to sex. I don't agree with everything in the book... but it's never too early to read something as thought-provoking & inspiring & potentially life-changing, not to mention, learning how to "spit out the sticks" of stuff ya don't agree with. Worth it!!!!

2. Jane Eyre &/or Pride & Prejudice

Of course!!!  Not everyone's cup of tea, I know, but what great inspirations for being a woman and standing for personal values while discovering true love!!

3. Books by Robin McKinley or any other author who believes in the power of being a woman completely disconnected with the world of men. Like Sunshine or The Blue Sword or Deerskin. Her women are powerful, complete beings that don't need to be rescued!!

4. Fiction written by men - pick a man's fantastical book. Like The Lord of the RingsThe Name of the Wind, or The Game of Thrones. Soak up the love of action and the cluelessness of women's emotions. Climb inside a man's perfect world so they make more sense in day to day life. (jajajajaja  - Am I getting myself in trouble here?!)

5. Whatever floats yer boat, draws you into imagine the wildest, most amazing possibilities. Vampires, werewolves, fairies, angels... WHATEVER. Let the imagination go wild and free with something fictional. Spark creativity and let it flow into your daily life. These books would be whatever just pulls you in irresistibly.

Who was that who said that if you want your kids to excel read them fairy tales? Einstein?!

That's what I think.  I am not very good with lists 'cause (as I discovered with that Left Brain/Right Brain test last week) the possibilities are endless, as are the right answers. bleh!!


Memorable Monday is hosted by Escape in a Book


Singer Trilogy


This  Singer Trilogy is hugely quotable...

"If she has loved him, a man will carry anything for his mother - a waterpot or the world." Singer pg 30

"Come to the court of God having eyes unwashed with dreams and you will see nothing." Finale pg 81




26 comments:

  1. It is nice to start the week thinking about books inst it? :) The Quaker State affair sounds pretty good. Hope you enjoy all you read this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx for hosting, Sheila!! Love your meme!!! Definitely the nicest way to start a Monday!!!

      Delete
  2. So glad you are enjoying The Parasol Protectorate Series. I am ready to listen to Timeless. They are fun on Audible.
    The Quaker State cover caught my interest. Having just peeked at your review I may have to add that to my ever growing wish list!
    Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wouldn't they be great audible?! good point!! Lol. They're so thick with attitude!!

      Cool. I think The Quaker State has sneaked passed notice somehow. It's really well-written and fast-paced. Not to mention, connects current events with my fav dystopians!! If that's a good thing!!

      Delete
  3. I have Soulless on my TBR. My favorite read this week was Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan. Please come see what else I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great week ahead for you...enjoy!

    I'm looking forward to mine, too, and here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really interesting post! I didn't do the Musing Monday this week as I thought the question was a little strange...I don't think fiction should be classed as male or female! But I think everyone should read Jane Eyre...so lovely! I turn to it whenever I want a cosy read!

    New Networked Blog follower :-)

    My Monday Post: http://www.pocketfulofbooks.com/2012/04/its-mondaywhat-am-i-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx for the Follow!!!

      Wow - you probably answered BEST by NOT answering!! Lol. I don't mind men being what they want to be same as women. I wouldn't force my Love to read Jane Eyre. I woo him with play by play so he can fall asleep fast, and he returns the favor by watching the ENTIRE Barrett Jackson auto auction (5 days, 12 hrs/day). We love doing our own thing next to each other, so I probably have a skewed idea of what men like.

      I'm a new follower at your blog - thx for hopping by!!!!

      Delete
  6. I've read quite a few up there. You've got a nice must-read pick. I'll have t look into the others they look pretty good :)

    Heres my IMM you can see what I've got for my must-reads!

    http://paranormalfantasyaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/musing-mondays-9th-april-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D I like your picks, too!!! I was surprised to see Oppression... must be good!! And I'll get to those Morganville's soon!!! :-)

      Delete
  7. my answer took a different, ok, slightly adversarial, direction.
    btw..you would consider LoTR a 'mans' book? sort of the point of my Musing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah... did I say "mans" book?!?! *cough* These are some of my all-time favorite books, and I am definitely not a man.

      I meant (as I wrote) "written by a man" - which is a valid point. Women - and this would be fun to discuss - think on many layers simultaneously. And before the recent movies and rush of popularity surrounding LOTR, it was discussed, on more than a few occasions, that there weren't very women actually present in the books. Which verifies my point of a man's point of view while not changing my preference towards the books in the slightest. They remain "favorites".

      Therefore the recommendation!!

      Hasn't anyone else seen the comments lately about preferring books written by women?! I will admit to enjoying romance from a woman-writers point of view more, but I think it's pretty obvious from my reviewed list (not to mention this recommended list) that enjoy quite a scope of genres and authors.

      I'll hop over to your post... heck, I'll read tons of Musing answers, I do believe!!! What an interesting question this turned into!!!

      Delete
  8. I absolutely LOVE your suggestions! I am definitely adding these to my TBR list - thank you for sharing! :)

    Here's mine:

    http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/2012/04/musing-mondays-to-z-challenge-h-heroes.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent Reading Happening Here!!
    Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your suggestions for the 5 books...and I agree with everyone reading Pride and Prejudice - one of my favorite books!

    Hope you have a great week!
    Kristin @ Always With a Book

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your quote of to day. And I saw you are reading the serie soulless. I can tell you it's a great serie :D Loved reading it. Al of them.

    If you like to see my MM you can click on it

    mariska

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your quote. I can't say I agree a 100 percent because I know women who loved their children a great deal and it didn't help them at all, but I know that my mom loves me more than anything in this world and I know that I'd do everything, anything, for her, too. :)

    Patricia // My Quote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya! I think there are a lot of poetical liberties taken in this trilogy & this one referrers to Jesus' first miracle of water-to-wine. It's not often possible for just-anyone to carry the weight of the world, like to or not!!!

      Delete
  13. Soulllleessssss! :) Everytime I sit in front of my bookshelves (it's at the end of my bed which is where I sit to get ready in the AM) I see Soulless and I'm like "Next time. Next time I'll read it." and my next time has yet to come, but fricking soon. SOOOOON.

    Also, is it sad that I've never read Pride or Jane?
    Like...ever? :( I feel so ashamed to admit that. I actually saw it on my mom's bookshelf recently and I won A Breath of Eyre, so I will actually read Jane Eyre soon.

    And soon I will have read a Robin McKinley book (thanks to some awesome person who will remain unnamed ^____~)

    My favourite fiction written by men is Stephen King's Dark Tower series. It's seriously the best thing in the world (and I've probably gushed about it multiple times in your comments now that I think about it) but yeah! Awesome awesome.

    I don't know what my top 5 would be, because I'd just want to say 5 Stephen King books, I'm always trying to get people to read and love them so I can have someone to gush with, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wha?!?! You are kidding me!!! Between 'em... Pride & Prejudice has been well-captured on film, although it's naturally better by book. Of course!! But Jane Eyre has been misrepresented all over the place... You gotta read the real deal and it takes some motivation to get to the second half where it's just impossibly good forever.

      I'm definitely checking out the Dark Tower series!!!!! You've "never" mentioned those before! Lol. PHEW! on McKinley! (that's a fast read, btw - just get into ch 2 or 3 and you'll be IN.) And Soulless...........

      Well, it's just so great to have so many great books handy, hey?! I'll post my review as soon as I spew it out. It's stuck in my throat.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it's wonderful to have so many books!! My father stole my Kindle (borrowed "until I want to return it to you) ((he's reading hunger games!)), so since it's in Germany for who knows how long, I'm stuck with my physical copies whether I wanted it or not, so I actually will be reading probably every new book I've got on my shelf this year. It's quite a lot the more I look...I think over half of my bookshelf is unread. And all recently acquired. Ooop!

      With the Dark Tower, I actually read the first one a few years ago (The Gunslinger) and I just couldn't get into it. I had a friend who kept telling me to reread it, and the first time I was on an autistic reading kick, and it was the entire reason I couldn't get into it. So I reread it last year, and my mind was blown over how I didn't like it the first time (what was wrong with me?), but the second time I devoured it and promptly bought the entire series. So hopefully when you ever read it, it's your cup of tea. ;)



      I've seen the Pride and Prejudice movie I'm fairly sure, I just have no memory of it...Perhaps I will rewatch it soon!

      Delete
  14. I definitely agree with you about books with strong female leads. Also, I loved The Blue Sword :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Name of the Wind~! You know, I HAVE that freaking book in resting in my bedside table since FEBRUARY. The thing is, if I really -Really!- want to enjoy the book I know I have to wait till June *sigh*
    & talking of which, yeah, monday -also known as the Moon Day- first day of college after spring breake (Yey!?!?).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful quotes, Laura, they're from a trilogy I've never heard of but I'm guessing it is good :) I hope you had a great Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read Jane Eyre in January and liked it. I haven't read Pride & Prejudice but it is on my soon tbr list

    ReplyDelete

This is an award-free, tag-free zone. Thank you for understanding!!!!

Sweet! Thanks for commenting - I love it!!

Please excuse the word verification. I'm not interested in comment advertising!! Lol.