Friday, August 3, 2012

Fairytale in Photos - Tangled

Amber @ Down the Rabbit Hole posts Fairy Tale Photos and I like 'em. Today her theme is Tangled, which is Disney's version of Rapunzel.... which raises the question of To Disney or not to Disney?


Weeeeellll, on one hand, Disney (or any awesome cartoonist) whips up a super-cute version of beloved fairytales, right?  "Cute" as is Happily Ever After.  Hopefully, they create interest in old fairytales.


The flip side is... it's hard to get past this cute version!!  After seeing their beautiful rendition of long, silky hair, will any other hair fill the imagination when reading about Rapunzel?!  Too unforgettable! And so darn CUTE.


My goodness... it makes fairytale lovers like me feel like I should be skipping through a cartoon setting with rainbow colored flowers in my hair. 


*cough* 


That's not me.


If we must talk about Tangled today (excuse my complaining) let's discuss pro's & con's. (Click on the pix to see where I found 'em.)


I LOVE...


1. The Pan - genius edition, I think. Frying pans ROCK!






2. The Character - Innocent + Fiesty = Nice.




3. The Guy - Fun Flaws soften the mega Super-Guy image.




4. The Chemistry - Ooh, a fight!!




5. The Acceptance Message - We do all have something in common. Yep.




6. The Lights - just *sigh*




7. The Setting - that's a sweet tower in a sweet hidden valley.




8. The Horse - he's a cross between a soldier and a dog. You have to laugh.






What bugs the snot out of me...


1. The Horse - I'm sorry, wha?




2. The Perfect Hair - It never, ever gets dirty, snagged, broken or even separates into strands let alone "tangled". There's a million girls wanting her hair. Can we say "unmet expectations" anyone?



3. "I love you most".  So... the bad guy gets the best line in the movie?!  Do you realize how many times I've wanted to say "I love you more" and stopped because of this blatant lie?!?!  Grrr...

Mother Gothel hugging Rapunzel

Do you agree with me?  Do you think creators like Disney make you more interested in the historical roots of the fairytale?  Or are they too cute to be cool?

15 comments:

  1. I agree with MOST of your points. I actually love how they did the villain in this, as she's so manipulative. I mean, real-life-esque manipulative. She isn't just "evil for the sake of being evil".

    The hair, well....c'mon. Disney has ALWAYS given us unrealistic expectations of hair. Little Mermaid? Aladdin? Pocahontas? If anything, Disney character hair is the most unrealistic thing about every single one of their movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *snort* Ok. I concede.

      My daughter used to choose her hairstyle every day based on her Disney dolls. "Jasmine" was her favorite.

      Delete
    2. Oops... at http://calico-reaction.livejournal.com/

      Delete
    3. Um. Like shampoo commercials. I hate shampoo commercials. -.- LOL

      Delete
  2. I agree, Disney makes things cool and cute, but it usually distracts you from other things. Especially the kids - I don't think they even notice how silly and unrealistic some stuff is. I know I didn't I only got to noticing these things when I got older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea. Well I love, LOVE fairytales and my devotion is completely separate from Disney. *snort* It's not that realistic is better... but it's never to early to fall in love with depth and meaning - beyond cute & fun. You know?

      Delete
  3. It looks like we came across the same things when doing this post. Originally I had set up a post for Rapunzel but I kept getting adorable Tangled photos that made me so happy, I had to split all the photos into "Tangled" and "serious" so next week is going to be the version of Rapunzel you'll like better.

    However, I love Tangled. It's so ridiculously adorable that I can't help but fall head over heels with it. I do agree with most of your points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a few kids' movies I can listen to over and over and over again and Tangled is one of 'em. Along with Ice Age anything and the one with the minions... what's that called?

      Delete
  4. May I point out how much I loved this movie compared with Brave...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jajajaja Ok. Although the long curly hair is amazing, too!! Jajajaja

      Delete
  5. I really think most Disney movies are too cute. I mean look at Bambi and The Lion King. Both of those movies have the death of a parent, but they seem to gloss right over that and make it seem like it didn't happen. I do realize both those movies aren't fairy tales, but if you are going to assign human emotions to animals then they should stay true to them.
    I am hooked on Disney movies though. I think it's the music in the movies that gets me. That and the Robin Williams as the genie in Aladdin was hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since my kids are grown, it's been ages since I've actually watched a Disney movie - sometimes they used to make me bawl, especially The Little Mermaid (I'm such a nerd).

    But, back in 1960, I think, I was uber little and my mom took me to see Cinderella, we'd see all the Disney movies at the downtown theater. And whether it was Cinderella, or Mary Poppins, or what have you ... as a wee girl I fell in love with the music, and always got a record album which you could purchase at the theaters.

    So, I don't remember *consciously* being influenced by how unrealistic Disney portrayed their characters, I just loved all that singing lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooow, my parents still go to see Disney movies... without me! Jajaja, apparently that's just weird!

      Delete
  7. Yeah, Disney fairytales are too cute nowadays. And unrealistic.
    I love fairytales and I watch as much as I can (and read) about them, even if it's just a retelling. Disney fairytales, however, as I and many of you have said, are just too cute. I think I--and the children today, and children in the future or fairytale lovers at ANY age--would appreciate the original ones. I hope one day they'll produce a movie with its original story (though I'm afraid it might affect the copyrights) and make it look more realistic. It's sad to think of how we--over the time--might forget the original stories, characters and settings. We never know one day it will be forgotten as our time gets more..modern and changed.
    Oh and, I agree with the hair thing. I'm dumbfounded that wherever she went and with the battles she came through, her hair stays silky & shiny, untangled and oh-so clean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, I love this movie! And it's fun to watch over and over again. I actually don't mind that the villain got the cool lines- Disney villains can be awesome! Like Hades, or Esma!

    ReplyDelete

This is an award-free, tag-free zone. Thank you for understanding!!!!

Sweet! Thanks for commenting - I love it!!

Please excuse the word verification. I'm not interested in comment advertising!! Lol.